The FishMPABlue2 project
Fishing governance in MPAs: potentialities for Blue Economy 2
FishMPABlue 2 is the follow-up of FishMPABlue1: as the first one carried out the analysis of the management of small scale fishery within and around a Marine Protected Area (MPA), identifying the suitable change (enforcing MPA management capacities) to be achieved through a concrete response (innovative governance toolkit), as current project wants to test such toolkit to actually demonstrate its effectiveness in achieving expected results (strengthening the management - and networking - capacities of Med MPAs). FishMPABlue2 is based on a scientifically sound study (FishMPABlue 1 results), a clear testing approach (where the monitoring of outcomes coming from toolkit testing is among key activities), a wide (thanks to networks of MedPAN & MedWet) results transfer strategy (exploiting already existing tools and channels); it creates the conditions for a potential mainstreaming into the whole Mediterranean region (thanks to the involvement of the main regional-national policy makers).
Project main outputs
- Pilot MPAs (11) engagement in Pilot Project implementation and upgraded toolkit adoption
- Evaluation Report on Pilot Actions results on MPAS territories
- tested and upgraded version of the "governance toolkit"
- Formal engagement by at least 5 additional MPAs in "Governance Toolkit" adoption and implementation
- New concepts and procedures for associating conservation (MPAs) and sustainable fisheries (FRAs)
Project specific objectives
- To test the "Governance toolkit for small scale fishery" in different typologies of MPAs, in order to have an upgraded version of it
- To disseminate the tested toolkit among the maximum feasible number of Med MPAs
- To enhance integration of principles and recommendations in national and international policies to ease informal/formal engagement of stakeholders in small scale fishery management within MPAs
Mediterranean Protected Areas Network | National Inter-University Consortium for Marine Sciences | WWF Adria - Association for the
protection of nature and conservation of biological diversity | University Nice Sophia Antipolis | WWF Mediterranean | International Union for Conservation of Nature | Association of the actors from the Var for a small coast fishing and sustainable maritime activitiesPlease find more information on https://interreg-med.eu/thematics/biodiversity-protection/