Besides the religious needs and the importance of organizing rural work, from which derived the building of churches and farmsteads, it is necessary to remember the defensive needs which became essential as civilization advanced: above all after the fall of the Roman Empire, people felt the need to protect themselves against more and more frequent incursions and assaults.
In this town, situated along the road which linked Cremona to Lodi already in the Roman period, you can observe Borromeo Castle. The castle, which has been reshuffled several times, dates back to the 15th century. It was built according to the will of Vitaliano Borromeo, who was enfeoffed by Filippo Maria Visconti with the license to fortify it. It was built on the ruins of a much more ancient defensive structure. The brickwork building, according to the usage of the Po Plain, is preceded by a tower, where the drawbridge was placed. The structure is separated from the complex by a courtyard.
The origins of the fortress date back to the struggles between Guelphs and Ghibellines from Cremona: it was founded around 1250 by the Ghibellines, who took shelter here in 1270 after their defeat and flight from the Guelphs. The latter besieged and seized the castle, which was subsequently rebuilt. In the following century, it passed to the Vincimala family, and afterwords to Visconti, who gave it to the Bevilacqua family from Verona. They kept the feud until the end of the 19th century, except for a short period in the 15th century.
The wonderful church of Abbadia Cerreto is situated on the left shore of Adda, in the small center which originated from two medieval fortresses and from which the name of the abbey derives.
In loc. Rossate, in a farmstead, there is the wonderful oratory of S. Biagio, also called of the Crucifix for a cross preserved in it, which was object of particular devotion. Today the Crucifix is preserved in the church of Lavagna; above the entrance portal it is still possible to see a fresco representing the Crucifixion.
The Sanctuary Madonna della Costa was built in 1872 on a small pre-existing church, which was built because in the 17th century people believed that the Virgin Mary had accomplished some miracles in that place.
Crotta d'Adda is situated on a terracing not far from the point where the river Adda flows into the river Po. This position favored the settlement of the place since prehistorical times: as a matter of fact, rests of palafittes have been found.