Parks.it Homepage

Parco Regionale dei Colli Euganei

www.parcocollieuganei.com
Local Banner for the promotion of the territory

Ruins of the ancient monasteries on Mt. Orbieso

Ruins of the ancient monasteries on Mt. Orbieso
Ruins of the ancient monasteries on Mt. Orbieso

The ancient mule track known as Strada Fonda follows the ridge of Mt. Orbieso and connects two monastic complexes. Following a short deviation at the beginning of the hill, we meet the ruins of the Priory of S. Eusebio, which was built on the same place of the valley's ancient rural church, that belonged to the monks of Praglia. Its original structure can be inferred from ancient maps: it was a small church with a gate, rose window, and a high-steepled bell tower; several other buildings - a monastery, a courtyard with a well, and a workshop - leaned against the church. When monasteries were suppressed, the priory was privatised and is currently in ruins. On the opposite side on the Strada Fonda there was the monastery of St. Maria Annunziata. A short walk connected it with the Steogarda plateau, where a road ran between Faedo and Galzignano. This modest monastery was built in 1233 and faced changing fortunes; following the internal crisis of the Benedictine order, it passed to the Camaldoli monks.


Further information

Province: Padua Region: Venetia


share-stampashare-mailQR Codeshare-facebookshare-deliciousshare-twitter
© 2019 - Ente Parco regionale dei Colli Euganei