In 1808 the viceroy of the Kingdom of Italy, Eugenio Behauharnais, entrusted the building, in Portonovo bay, of a fortress to stop the landing of the English boats. It was realized by using also the material recovered from the ruins of the Monastery and of the bell tower attached to St Mary Church. After a period of neglect and ruin it was rebuilt, respecting the ancient plan, and is today a prestigious tourist structure. On demand, it is open to visits.
Province: Ancona Region: the Marches