National Archaeological Museum in Orvieto
Piazza del Duomo
05018 Orvieto (TR)
0763/341039 - Fax
Situated in the medieval Papal Palace, the Museum preserves finds coming from the necropolis surrounding the town center (Crocifisso del Tufo, Cannicella, Fontana del Leone, Settecamini), that have given back valuable materials. In particular, the collection includes the precious red-figured Etruscan ceramics and bronze armor fittings including helm, armor plate, greave, and shield. Of great interest the area housing the two famous painted chamber-tombs discovered by Domenico Golini in 1863 and recently reconstructed in the museum with the original detached frescoes. The frescoes, dealing with the themes of the banquet and the descent into the underworld, celebrate in detail the rituals of the aristocratic class.
weekdays and holidays 8.30 a.m. - 7.30 p.m. (closed on 1st May, at Christmas, and on New Year's Day)
Euros 3.00. Entrance to the Museum and the Crucifix necropolis: Euros 5.00