The Blessed Virgin of the Fountain Sanctuary was built by the Capuchin Friars in 1463 in the place where a miraculous spring used to be (now in the crypt, with 15th century fresco of the Virgin). The building is characterized by a late Gothic style, with a nave and two aisles with barrel vaults and three polygonal apses. The raised presbytery preserves a crypt with, in the middle, the miraculous well and, on the wall, a 15th century fresco representing the Virgin. Inside the Sanctuary there are 15th-16th century frescoes of the Cremonese school and 17th century scagliola frontals. The Sanctuary is famous because it houses the grave of the painter Francesco Mazzola, known as "Il Parmigianino". As a matter of fact, after escaping from Parma because victim of persecution, he died on 24th August 1540 in Casalmaggiore. He wanted to be buried in the Sanctuary.
Location: Casalmaggiore (CR) Region: Lombardy