The Park Cave and Karstic Environment Museum
Museum of the caves and the karst environment of the Park
former San Marco Church, Corso Mazzini
06021 Costacciaro (PG)Municipality:
075/917271 - Fax
The Municipality of Costacciaro has opened the Park Cave and Karstic Environment Museum in the beautiful former San Marco Church (in Corso Mazzini). The display is dedicated both to school groups (elementary, middle, and secondary schools) and to tourists or hikers.
The Museum consists of a large multipurpose hall on the ground floor provided with high-tech equipment. In particular, there is an integrated video-computer system enabling the projection of both analogical and digital material.
On the upper floor, there are some computers with specific softwares dealing with the below-mentioned topics.
The visit begins with the projection of a documentary which can be chosen among the following ones:
Il Parco del Monte Cucco - lasting 46'
Il Parco del Monte Cucco - lasting 28'
Il Carsismo di Monte Cucco - lasting 28'
Further steps of the visit:
- series of colour panels presenting the local historical and geographical features, as well as the origin of the rocks, the formation of the Apennines, morphology with surface and subterranean evolution, genesis of the karstic phenomenon and of Mt. Cucco Cave, and in particular its water and spring network
- stratigraphic column representing the Umbro-Marchigiana limestone series with the different lithologies (rock formation processes) characterizing the Park territory
- macrofossils exhibit: the most important palaeontological finds of Mt. Cucco are on display in specific cases (Lower and Upper Lias)
- computerized viewer, with which it is possible to see the enlargements of the microfossils present in the rocks of the limestone series
- Mt. Cucco relief model reproducing in scale the area of Mt. Cucco, highlighting its geostructural features. Moreover, it is possible to select and detect hypogean karstic phenomena.
Opening times: From 1st July to 30th September,
10.30 a.m. - 12.30 p.m. and 4.00 p.m. - 6.00 p.m.during the rest of the year, the Museum is open by previous booking
: please contact the Municipality of Costacciaro Tel. +39 075 9172723 (Mr Gambucci Graziano)Entrance fee:
Download the Museum entrance feesInfo Point of the Municipality of Costacciaro
- via Valentini, 31 - 06021 Costacciaro (PG) - Tel. +39 075 9171046
© 2013 - Comunità Montana Alta Umbria