Parks.it Homepage

Parco del Monte Subasio

Interactive Map
Mostratevi online ai lettori di Parks.it

Strolling around the Park...

In the Park there are towns, fortresses, bridges, drinking troughs. Churches, sanctuaries, monasteries, abbeys, oratories, aediculae increasing the historical and architectural value of the territory. All these small but imposing works, set in a frame with strong agricultural and rural connotations, represent the main tourist attractions of the territory.
Towns

  • Armenzano
    It is situated at the summit of a hill at the mouth of Fosso Marchetto valley. A typical example of settlement of feudal origin developing in the communal period, it has a compact structure and an almost circular plan delimited by a ringroad. The walls are well preserved; from the in-the-round entrance arch, a pedestrian street climbs with a spiral route to the caisson dominating the whole complex.

  • Costa di Trex
    It is situated in a panoramic position at 573m a.s.l. and faces the river Tescio and Fosso Marchetto.
    Its name derives from a contraction of "Costa delle Tre Chiese": in particular, the name refers to Santo Stefano church (on the outer wall there is an urn of Roman epoch), San Bartolomeo church, and San Lorenzo church, which is private property.

  • Collepino
    Not far from Spello, going along a road surrounded by olive trees - a typical cultivation of the area - there is the town of Collepino. Its origins date back to the early Middle Ages and is a characteristic town surrounded by walls.

  • San Giovanni
    Along the road connecting Spello with Assisi, between Collepino and Armenzano, there is San Giovanni town-castle. It opens towards Topino valley and behind the town, on the slopes of Subasio, Macchia di Pale extends to the high-mountain meadows.
    In the town church, where according to the tradition St. Francis performed one of his miracles, there are 17th century frescoes.

  • Lanciano
    Lanciano is a country hamlet of the Municipality of Nocera Umbra.
    The term Lanciano derives from the Latin Lantius, the name of the ancient owner of these lands.
    The town represents the development of an ancient fortified settlement which originally worked as a watchtower. The urban structure of the settlement degrades to the hill slopes dominated by the medieval tower and develops on the two sides of the ancient connection road. In the highest point of the country hamlet, at 676m a.s.l., the small church of Lanciano rises.

Churches

  • San Vitale Church
    On the slope of Mt. Subasio facing south there was San Vitale hermitage, now parish church of Viole, country hamlet of Assisi. Next to the church there is Fonte di San Vitale, already reconstructed in 1756 and recently renovated in 2001.

  • Madonna della Spella Church
    Built in the 11th century on a hill (958m a.s.l.) of Subasio slope going down to Collepino and from here to Spello.
    The name derives from specula, that is "panorama", since here you can enjoy beautiful views reaching Sibillini Mountains.

  • Madonna di Colpernieri Church
    It is a small building situated on a hill halfway Collepino and San Giovanni.
    Behind the main altar there is a canvas representing Madonna della Provvidenza.

  • Madonna dei Tre Fossi Church
    It is situated in Valle del Tescio and is an elegant and simple stone building with belltower.

Abbeys and Hermitages

  • Eremo delle Carceri
    St. Francis used to come and prey in the caves where subsequently the Hermitage was built (carcerava, from here the name "delle carceri"). Together with the centuries-old ilex wood, it is one of the most significant environmental features of Mt. Subasio.

  • San Benedetto Abbey
    It has very ancient origins. In the 13th century it was a monastic seat depending on the abbey of Farfa.
    The Romanesque-style is particularly evident in the outer structure.
    The crypt dates back to the 11th century.

  • San Silvestro Abbey
    The church is what remains of the big monastic complex probably founded by St. Romualdo in 1025. Above the altar, a 15th century Madonna with Child.
    In the crypt, some capitals of Roman origins have been re-used.
    Nearby, there is San Silvestro spring which seems to have therapeutic properties.
    According to the tradition, here St. Francis and St. Clare lived for some time.

Bridges
On the river Tescio delimiting the northern border of the Park, there are several ancient bridges which favored both the trade with the nearby Marches and the pilgrimages.
They represent secondary ways of communication used to connect the two parts in which the river Tescio divides the homonymous valley and are linked to the presence in the area of several watermills.

- San Vittorino (or Vetturino) Bridge of 1283, reconstructed in 1514.
- First Bridge of the Gauls (1193), under restoration by the Park
- Second Bridge of the Gauls or Ponte Santa Croce (1353-1357)
- Ponte Dolci (first half of the 19th century).
- Hannibals' Bridge or Pontaccio (collapsed in 2001)
- Ponte Grande (1469)
- Marchetto Bridge (medieval epoch)
- Cavaliero Bridge (17th century).

Resurgences
Given the rounded shape of Subasio and its calcareous nature, most of the meteoric waters go under the ground and reach impermeable strata. The water then reappears from the mountain as springs that man, over the centuries, has learnt to manage creating fountains and drinking troughs, and sometimes also channels to use this water in the aqueducts of the nearby towns.

- Fonte Bregno (at the edge of the border between Assisi and Spello)
- Fonte Maddalena (near Costa di Trex)
- Le tre Fontane (near Eremo delle carceri)
- Fonte Sermattei (situated in the abandoned town of Gabbiano Vecchio)
- Fonte del Brecciaro (along the road leading to Armenzano)
- Fonte San Silvestro and Fonte San Benedetto (situated in the homonymous abbeys)
Comunità Montana Monte Subasio has implemented several measures for the maintenance and recovery of these springs mainly caused by the long periods of drought.

Province: Perugia Region: Umbria


share-stampashare-mailQR Codeshare-facebookshare-twitter
© 2021 - Comunita Montana dei monti Martani, Serano e Subasio