Points of Interest

Villa Torretta

In the 16th century it was a rich countryside villa for the noble people from Milan. In the following centuries it was gradually abandoned, until it partly became the accommodation of the farmers working in the countryside and, during the years of the war, shelter and accommodation for the workmen of the factory Breda.
When in 1981 Consorzio Parco Nord decided to purchase it, this building - which is the symbol of the town of Sesto San Giovanni - despite preserving several elements of architectonic and artistic interest, was almost in ruin.
In 1989 the recovery of the villa began: a private operator decided to pay for the recovery of the villa and to build in it a prestigious hotel with a Congress Center.
The works began in 1997 and ended in 2002.
A breathtaking view of this wonderful villa can be seen visiting the web site, which also presents all the services offered.
The frescoes originally present in the villa, an important historical memory of the painting of Milan in the 18th century, have been replaced in their original environment. On some occasions visitors and researchers can visit the villa to admire its rooms and the frescoes which have been brought back to the ancient splendor thanks to the work of restoration.
The best preserved paintings are situated in the rectangular hall on the first floor where, under the ceiling, along the upper part of the walls, there is a strip of big pictures representing town views and charming imagination places. Also in the second hall, the frescoes decorate the upper part of the walls: it is possible to admire various aristocratic coats of arms sumptuously framed, like the coat of arms of the king of Spain Felipe IV and the family coats of arms of the great families from Milan, like the Marino, Spinola, Visconti, and Borromeo families.
Under different strata of plaster of various epochs, precious paintings have been recently found: the evidences of a sumptuous past making Villa Torretta the symbol of Sesto San Giovanni.

Further information


Villa Manzoni

Villa Manzoni is placed on the northern side along the homonymous road at Brusuglio di Cormano. The writer used to spend here the beautiful season, studying and later experimenting its knowledge of botany, of which he was very fond. Between 1810 and 1820 he personally followed the planting of 950 trees and 570 bushes which still grow around the villa. There are specimens of Plane tree, Yew, English oak, Honey locust which are considered to be part of the original planting, as well as the Chestnut tree under which Manzoni composed "il 5 maggio", ode for Napoleon's death.
As far as the historical and architectural aspect is concerned, the villa is a large four-sided building with a side of 40 meters, including stalls with a fountain in the middle. The right side of the building is made by the old Imbonati palace, inherited together with other properties and refurbished by the Manzoni family on the death of earl Carlo in Paris in 1805. The façade is characterized by a double central loggia which gives access to the first floor apartment where Manzoni moved for the night since 1837. At the groundfloor there is the precious library which still includes a few volumes glossed by the writer.
The Park of the Villa is really special, since its woods are the most precious ones within the perimeter of Parco Nord. The trees reach the 40 meters of height, and some of them have trunks of more than seven meters of width! There is a Plate tree whose foliage covers an area of 40 meters! At the moment, the Forest Services of Parco Nord are carrying out a detailed mapping of all the Park trees, in order to control their growth and their state.

Further information

The Small Park Theater
The Small Park Theater

The Park Small Theater

Given the main peculiarity of Parco Nord as a result of a requalification work of degraded areas, Teatrino del Parco must be highlighted as an interesting point accessible by everyone. Finished in 1994 at the foot of Montagnetta, the Teatrino represents a good example of how to create a meeting place for citizens from an abandoned industrial structure. Built by recovering the old concrete structure made of fourteen pillars which previously sustained a crane used for loading and unloading the Breda's blast furnace waste, the Teatrino was elevated by creating an embankment on which a small concrete stage and a parabolica section structure made of layered wood, to enhance acoustics and address the sound towards the audience. The public is housed in an open space covered by the lawn and delimited on its sides by concrete pillars alternating with benches built by recycling old wooden railroad ties.

Further information


The Small System of Ponds

Water has always been one of the most important vital element of Parks, since it guarantees the survival and the birth to thousands of ecosystems, and it contributes to vary the landscape, both as far as the naturalistic and aesthetic aspect is concerned. The small pond system built in 1992 in the area in the south of via Clerici, between Montagnetta and viale Fulvio Testi, is the evidence of the great value that the Consorzio has always given to the water element. Since the pond was realized near the viale Suzzani entrance, many insects such as the dragonfly and the "gerride" - which need water in the first part of their life - have proliferated; moreover, it has been observed a remarkable increase in the number of amphibians (the European green toad and the green frog) and afterwards, a considerable reduction of their presence given by a massive and indiscriminate introduction of goldfish and aquatic American turtles. Lastly, it is worth of mention a consistent group of moorhen of spontaneous introduction (gallinula chloropus), which has settled down in the Park.


The Monument Dedicated to the Deportee

The Monument is dedicated to all citizens who worked in the big and small factories of the industrial area of Sesto San Giovanni and who were arrested by the Nazi-Fascists and deported to the Nazi concentration camps.
On the big stone lying at the beginning of the cobbled road you can read a writing dedicated to them by the persons who planned the work, that is the architects Ludovico Belgioioso (a former deportee) and his son Alberico Belgioioso, in collaboration with Master Giuseppe Lanzani.

Further information


The Former Control Tower of Breda Airport

The former Control Tower of Breda Airport covered in the past some areas that belong today to the Park and that have been recovered from bombing and abandonment. During the post-war period, Breda built in the hangar you can see on the right of the cycle racing track the one and only four-engined aircraft Breda Zapata BZ308, whose mass-production was never allowed because of the veto by the Allied Forces. The former Palace is a private-property building made of concrete and big glass walls, an ideal building to house the future restaurant, bar, and ice-cream parlor of the Park: for this reason, the Park has started a plan to recover the building in collaboration with the owners.

share-stampashare-mailQR Codeshare-facebookshare-deliciousshare-twitter
© 2019 - Parco Nord Milano