Villa Manzoni is placed on the northern side along the homonymous road
at Brusuglio di Cormano. The writer used to spend here the beautiful
season, studying and later experimenting its knowledge of botany, of
which he was very fond. Between 1810 and 1820 he personally followed
the planting of 950 trees and 570 bushes which still grow around the
villa. There are specimens of Plane tree, Yew, English oak, Honey
locust which are considered to be part of the original planting, as
well as the Chestnut tree under which Manzoni composed "il 5 maggio", ode for Napoleon's death.
As far as the historical and architectural aspect is concerned, the villa is a large four-sided building with a side of 40 meters, including stalls with a fountain in the middle. The right side of the building is made by the old Imbonati palace, inherited together with other properties and refurbished by the Manzoni family on the death of earl Carlo in Paris in 1805. The façade is characterized by a double central loggia which gives access to the first floor apartment where Manzoni moved for the night since 1837. At the groundfloor there is the precious library which still includes a few volumes glossed by the writer.
The Park of the Villa is really special, since its woods are the most precious ones within the perimeter of Parco Nord. The trees reach the 40 meters of height, and some of them have trunks of more than seven meters of width! There is a Plate tree whose foliage covers an area of 40 meters! At the moment, the Forest Services of Parco Nord are carrying out a detailed mapping of all the Park trees, in order to control their growth and their state.
Province: Milan Region: Lombardy