A characteristic town situated at the foot of Mt. Carpegna western slope, it was born from the union of two ancient castles, the one on the "Rupe" belonging to Billi family and the one on the "Roccione" belonging to Penna family.
Originally a feud of the Carpegna family, it became then property of the Malatesta family - and probably their cradle - before they came down to Verucchio and Rimini. In 1572 Pope Gregory XIII definitively moved here from San Leo the seat of the Montefeltro diocese, today called San Martino-Montefeltro. There are several evidences of this past: Ponte Malatesta, Borgo San Rocco, S. Agostino Church with the monument dedicated to Madonna delle Grazie and the organ dating back to the end of the 16th century, the Diocesan Museum whose artistic heritage has been collected from the whole Montefeltro region, the Romanesque-style Parish Church in Ponte Messa, the ruins of Palazzo Principesco in Scavolino, the Augustinian Monastery, the Parish Church in Miratoio with its wonderful portal, the Tower of Bascio and Oliva Monastery in Maciano.
Besides the historical-artistic evidences, Pennabilli offers to visitors a prestigious National Fair of Antique Trade, the possibility to visit the Orchard of the Forgotten Fruits, the Petrified Garden or the Sanctuary of Thoughts created by the poet Tonino Guerra. As a Municipality within Parco Naturale del Sasso Simone e Simoncello, it represents a gateway to itineraries surrounded by green and nature.
On Fridays - from 9.00 a.m. till noon
On Saturdays - from 9.00 a.m. till noon and from 3.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
On Sundays and holidays from 10.00 a.m. till noon
On previous booking for groups