Parks.it Homepage

Parco del Lago Trasimeno

Local Banner for the promotion of the territory

Museum Route in Castiglione del Lago



06061 Castiglione del Lago (PG)

Municipality: Castiglione del Lago Region: Umbria

Tel. 075/951099

The monumental route leaves from Della Corgna Palace in Castiglione, built in 1563 by Ascanio, the Marquis of Castiglione del Lago. Planned as a small royal palace, it was completely detached from the town and surrounded by magnificent gardens that have been unfortunately lost.
Originally, the structure consisted of one or more 13th century tower houses, transformed in the early 16th century into a hunting lodge by Baglioni family, and acquiring the current aspect with the project probably planned by Vignola and after by Alessi.
The west wing was added in the first half of the 17th century, giving the building its characteristic "L" shape. Repeatedly sacked by the several tenants who followed on after the disappearance of the house Della Corgna, it was destroyed by a fire in 1824 and, in 1870, it was purchased by the new-born Municipality of Castiglione del Lago for the sum of L. 47,710.

The monumental route leaves from the dwelling of the Marquise Ascanio, situated on the first floor and divided into three areas: the central one with the entrance and three halls, the eastern one with five rooms, both completely decorated with frescoes, and a third western area for the toilets.
In the central and eastern area decorated with frescoes by Niccolò Circignani, also known as Pomarancio, with themes ranging from the greek and latin mythology to the famous battle of Trasimeno led by Hannibal. The last room is the study of the Marquise Ascanio della Corgna which is connected through a secret door with the terrace from where one reached the fireplace, which led to the fortress in case of dangerous situations.

Following the escape route from the Palace, the itinerary leads to the castle along the characteristic communication trench.
Already existing at the times of the Etruscans and the Romans, the castle, situated in a dominating position on the promontory creeping in the waters of the lake, was entirely renovated by Frederick II of Swabia, and has reached us substantially unchanged. The monumental route develops inside the fortress, where you can admire the characteristic irregular pentagonal plan while you walk along the defensive merlons and climb the four towers at the corners of the structure.

The route ends climbing the imposing Donjon, 30m high and with the characteristic triangular shape, where you can enjoy a great view over the whole Trasimeno valley.

Text by the Municipality of Castiglione del Lago.

 

Opening times: 01/03 - 30/06 from 9.30 am to 7.00 pm
01/07 - 31/08 from 9.30 am to 7.30 pm
01/09 - 30/09 from 9.30 am to 7.00 pm
01/10 - 31/10 from 9.30 am to 6.30 pm
01/11 - 28/02* from 9.30 am to 5.30 pm
*Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, holidays and days before holidays - Everyday opening during Christmas time

Entrance fee: € 5.00 full ticket
€ 4.00 reduced ticket for grups of more than 15 participants, children between 6 and 14 years of age, over-65 adults, students
€ 12.00 (2 adults and 1 child between 6 and 14 years of age)
€ 16.00 (2 adults and 2 or more children between 6 and 14 years of age)
share-stampashare-mailQR Codeshare-facebookshare-deliciousshare-twitter
© 2019 - Comunità Montana Associazione dei Comuni Trasimeno - Medio Tevere