Parks.it Homepage
Local Banner for the promotion of the territory

Points of Interest

Rilke trench
Rilke trench

War events

During World War I the frontline between the Kingdom of Italy and the Austro-Hungarian Empire extended for about 600 kilometers, from the Stelvio Pass to the Adriatic Sea, where the karst hill formations of Mount Hermada and the Duino coastline represented the Austrian  outermost defense line of the sector on the road to Trieste. The rocky coast near Duino was fortified in view of a possible landing of the Italian army in the Sistiana bay, and many emplacements and observatories were built to control the ship movements in the gulf of Trieste.

Further information (Italian text)


 
 

Duino Castle

The Duino Castle is perched on a karst spur consisting of high cliffs overlooking the sea, offering a breathtaking panorama of the whole gulf of Trieste. The wonderful Park around it, with its terraces overlooking the sea, its alleys, the multicolored flowerbeds, the statues and the archaeological finds, contributes to enrich its charm with an incomparable romantic nuance. The owners of the castle, the princes Della Torre and Tasso, decided to open both the Park and most of their stately dwelling - rich in significant artistic masterpieces and refined historical relics - in order to allow the public to visit them. The castle  was built in 1300 on the ruins of a Roman outpost; it is a complex and solid building overlooking the gulf of Trieste.

Further information (Italian text)


 
 

The old castle and the bunker

Since 2010 the visitors have had the opportunity to reach and visit the ruins of the "Castello Vecchio" (Old Castle) dating back to the first century of the year 1000, that are situated on the ruins of a druid temple dedicated to Sun God. Once cleaned up and made safe it is accessible for groups by previous booking and according to a schedule agreed in advance. It is also possible to visit the bunker having a 400 square meters surface and a depth of 18 meters. It was built in 1943 by the ToDT organization for the german Kriegsmarine as a defense of the Sistiana base camp against a possible landing of the Allies. Many locals, before the bunker was equipped with a cannon, took shelter within it every time the bombing alarm went off. From 1945 to 1954 the bunker housed a fuel warehouse of the English army.
Since 2006 it has been opened to the public as a proof of those tragic years.

Information: Ph. +39 040 208120 - fax +39 040 208022 booking for groups: fax +39 040 2071398
info@castellodiduino.it, visite@castellodiduino.it - www.castellodiduino.it

Bus: bus stop Duino, line no. 43 or no. 44, out-of-town line apT no. 51


share-stampashare-mailQR Codeshare-facebookshare-deliciousshare-twitter
© 2020 - Comune di Duino Aurisina (organo gestore)