On 27th August 1503, the bishop of Turin Giovanni Ludovico Della Rovere allowed the "honorable men" of the community of Lanzo to celebrate Mass in the Oratory of San Rocco, near Ponte del Diavolo. The celebration of the Mass was allowed only on the Saint day which was, at that time, already celebrated on 16th August.
The chapel has a characteristic structure for Valli di Lanzo: a parallelepiped with a rectangular plan, front with tympanum, roof with double layer on a wooden beam framing. In front of the votive chapel, a small portico supported by two strong pillars.
It was common to dedicate chapels built at the entrance of the towns to St. Rocco, since the Saint was believed to protect people from the plague. In Valli di Lanzo there are 14 chapels dedicated to St. Rocco; in Italy there are over 3,000.
Every year, a Mass is celebrated in the chapel on the day after 15th August, and blessed bread is distributed by the Confraternity of the Holy Cross, which is responsible for the management of the ritual.