The wonderful panoramic position over the Tiber valley and the characteristic spiral town planning have transformed Nazzano into a small architectural jewel. Along the one and only road developing across the historical town center, you will get to the 13th century castle dominating this enchanting town.
The town is situated on the edge of the scarp which marks the border of the Tiber valley in this area. It was part of the estates of the Savelli, Orsini, Massimo and Torlonia families; the Savelli castle, with its moat and drawbridge, dominates the old town. More medieval towers testify to the role of the town, which used to control trades along the valley. A wonderful view can be enjoyed from its belvedere. Aldo Moro, the politician murdered in 1978 after being kidnapped by the Red Brigades, is buried in the town's cemetery.
The town of Montopoli di Sabina (331 m a.s.l.) is situated on a hill ridge, thus enjoying a series of wonderful vistas all around. The town has a vast territory, from Passo Corese to Poggio Mirteto, enclosed by the River Tiber to the east, and by the Farfa stream to the west. Its name is thought to derive from Mons Poilionis, subsequently altered in Mons Operis (because of the industriousness of its inhabitants) and then in Montis Opuli thanks to the riches of its land. Around A.D. 1000 the area became part of the Abbey of Farfa territory, and was consequently affected by all the events that concerned the famous Abbey: it was involved in the fights between popes and emperors, when its inhabitants distinguished themselves as loyal warriors. In 1243 the town was pillaged and destroyed by order of Pope Gregory IX. It then became a municipality and, during the Signorie period, it was ruled by the Orsini and then by the Felici families. Today, Montopoli di Sabina is mostly known for its excellent olive oil and wine, which was already famous in the time of King Numa Pompilio.