Some parts of the land between Magliana and Pisana are covered by about 30 hectares of cork plantation and Mediterranean maquis. The name of the wood derives from the owners who managed the farm sharing its name up to the end of the 60s. The wood is characterized by a very interesting fauna including foxes, badgers, porcupines, and dormice.
This papal residence was built between the end of the 15th century and the beginning of the 16th century in a site which was rich in waters and fauna. It is made up of two buildings around a yard. The loggia was planned by Giuliano from Sangallo. Leone X commissioned Raffaello to paint a fresco for the inner chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist. At the moment, the castle is owned by the Knights of Malta who restored it in 1957 and used it as a hospital for motor rehabilitation. The yard and the outside of the castle can be visited on request.