The Protected Areas in Montenegro
Legal framework of The Public Enterprise for National Parks of Montenegro (PENP)
The Public Enterprise for National Parks of Montenegro (PENP) is responsible for protection and management of the four Montenegrin National Parks: Durmitor, Biogradska gora, Lovcen and Skadarsko jezero. The Enterprise was established in 1993, under provisions of the Law on Nature Protection and the Law on National Parks. PENP comprises four administrative units (one for each NP), and is governed by Management Board and Director (appointed by the Government). The Enterprise is a member of the Europarc Federation (Federation of European national parks).
The legal basis for PENP’s work is set in the laws regulating National Parks and nature protection. Based on the provisions of these acts, PENP is responsible for preparation and implementation of periodic programmes for protection, promotion and the use of National Parks, i.e. management plans. These programmes need to be approved by the Government.
The main PENP responsibilities include:
- maintaining cadastre on the state of animal and plant ecosystems, their habitats and communities;
- controlling the use of natural resources in the national parks;
- determining the internal rules of conduct in the national parks; and
- performing other activities of public interest, as stipulated by the laws and other acts.
The Law on National Parks is most important for the Lake protection, conservation and management of its resources. The Law defines national park as an area of exquisite and numerous natural assets that have ecological, economic, scientific, aesthetic, cultural, educational and recreational values.
The Law on Nature Protection protects nature as a whole, and particularly areas of special natural values, so called “monuments of nature” and rarities. It also refers to conservation of biological diversity and its sustainable use. The Law, among others, prescribes special measures to be taken in order to:
- protect particularly valuable and preserved parts of nature,
- prevent all actions that could directly or indirectly disturb natural assets and their attributes,
- create as favourable conditions as possible for conservation and maintenance of natural assets…
There are four national parks in the Republic of Montenegro: Durmitor, Biogradska gora, Lovcen and Skadarsko jezero. The Authority in charge of the management of the National Parks is Javno preduze_e za nacionalne parkove Crne Gore (The Public Enterprise for National Parks of Montenegro).
Other nature reserves are under authorities of various institutions in The Republic of Montenegro.
Source: Javno preduze_e za nacionalne parkove Crne Gore