Set in the green of the Mediterranean maquis and lapped by the blue Adriatic Sea, the Church of Santa Maria di Portonovo, built with the Conero spotless stone, is a jewel of Romanesque architecture with features
blending the Greek cross with the shapes of the Latin basilica. It
reminds us that in 1034 a Monastery was built in this wonderful place.
The Community of Monks extended its influence in a large area beyond the Castles of Poggio, Camerano, Sirolo, and Numana.