Gathered together within its walls, San Felice Circeo was built on a natural platform about 100 metres above the sea. The town's history is very ancient, and begins with the Neanderthal man. Throughout the centuries, the Circeo area has been a Roman colony, a property of the Templars during the Middle Ages, a fief of the Caetani family, and finally a fortress of the Papal States.
Circeo is also a protagonist in the myth of Ulysses and Circe the sorceress, told in Homer's Odyssey.
The Tower of the Templars on San Felice Circeo's main square was built between 1240 and 1259. Its characteristic clock, which was earlier placed at the great door of the baron's palace, was installed on the tower at the beginning of the 19th century. The yard of the baron's palace can be accessed through an archway on the square's right side; the Caetani family built the palace, which today houses the Town Hall, in the 14th century.
Province: Latina Region: Lazio
Official Website www.comune.sanfelicecirceo.lt.it