Baragiola is a district of the Municipality of Olgiate Comasco, located east of the town, near the Lura stream. Like Somaino, it was a separate municipality until the first half of the 18th century. In addition to the built-up area, consisting of courtyards and farmsteads, there were two churches, one dedicated to Santa Maria and the other to Bishop Ilario, a Benedictine convent and a bakery. Of the two churches, which have disappeared as a result of the vicissitudes of the centuries, a bell remains, donated to the Civic Museum of Como, bearing the date 1437. The annexation of Baragiola to the Municipality of Olgiate Comasco dates back to 1753, following an episode reported in the chronicles of the provost, Don Lorenzo Sterlocchi: the protest of the inhabitants of Baragiola, following the refusal of the mayor of Olgiate to ring the bells of the parish church for a deceased man from Baragiola.

Municipality: Olgiate Comasco (CO) Region: Lombardy
share-stampashare-mailQR Codeshare-facebookshare-twitter
© 2024 - Parco Sorgenti del Torrente Lura c/o Municipio di Lurate Caccivio