Parks.it Homepage

Parco Naturale del Monte Tre Denti - Freidour

Local Banner for the promotion of the territory

Points of Interest

Cumiana

The interest to safeguard environment and landscape has transformed Cumiana into an appealing tourist resort. This town is surrounded by a vast and diversified territory including Tre Denti and Freidour Provincial Park.
With the name "Cuminana", the village is already mentioned in a document dating 810 (during the Carolingian period). Over the centuries, it experienced flourishing moments alternating with economic and social crises to get to the first years of the 20th century in a period of great changes and wars. One thousand inhabitants of Cumiana took part in the 1915-1918 war and during World War II, Italian-German reprisals took a heavy toll of lives - above all men - while the partisans continued with their exhausting resistance. Among the victims there were also eight allied aviators (English) who sacrificed their lives while trying to bring help to a town which was worn out by the enemy's violence: their plane smashed against Mt. Freidour in October 1944. We recall many courageous deeds, marked by memorial stones dedicated to the dead, scattered throughout the territory. The return to normal life was followed by a rapid economic development characterized by a regular growth respecting the environment and, above all, enhancing the artistic and cultural heritage.

To visit:

  • San Gervasio Church and Belltower
    In an elevated position and far from the center, in frazione Costa, there are San Gervasio Church and belltower. The latter dates back to the 9th century and is one of the most ancient local monuments. It preserves on one side the rests of a 15th century fresco representing the assumption of the Virgin, probably by the maestro from Cercenasco.

  • The Church of S. Giovanni Battista della Costa
    Characterized by an elegant architecture, a modest size, and a regular structure, the church of S. Giovanni Battista was founded in 1338 by Guido Canalis, Bishop of Turin.

  • The Church of S. Maria della Motta
    Dedicated to Mary's Nativity, founded in 1407, it rises on a hill in the center of Cumiana and, thanks to its Baroque-style grandeur, it can be easily noticed by coming from any town access.

  • The Church of San Pietro in Vincoli
    Situated in frazione Tavernette and dating back to 1319, it is one of the most ancient churches of Cumiana territory. Since 1832, the church has suffered many changes, with the restoration works of the parsonage first and of the church a few years later. The real renovation was obtained by adding two aisles (1932) and the two altars dedicated to the Sacred Heart and to Holy Mary.

  • Confraternita dei Santi Rocco e Sebastiano
    Since 1630 it is situated in front of the Parish Church of Santa Maria della Motta, in a symmetrical position, dominating the surrounding town. A committee to safeguard and recover the Confraternita formed in 1997 and, thanks to it, in 1998 it was possible to fix the electrical installation. Today is a real beautiful monument to admire.

  • The Church of Santa Maria Assunta
    Halfway the SP road leading to Cumiana town center, facing south on a small hill, there is the church of Santa Maria Assunta, of very ancient origins.

  • The ancient Costa Castle and Costa Palace of the Earls Canalis from Cumiana
    Dominating the town in an excellent panoramic position, the fascinating building known as Costa Castle rises.
    It is formed by four differentiated sections gathering around a central courtyard with two porticos on the sides. The garden, covering about 300 square km, surrounds the palace. There are groups of century-old plants like the cedar at the entrance and the conifers. An ancient elm dominates the northern side and a long row of yews runs along the eastern side of the palace. A shady path leads to Belvedere, a green terrace where you can enjoy the wonderful panorama over Cumiana. At the moment, the castle houses a permanent museum dedicated to Furniture.


share-stampashare-mailQR Codeshare-facebookshare-deliciousshare-twitter
© 2020 - Città Metropolitana di Torino