Parks.it Homepage

Parco Regionale dei Colli Euganei

www.parcocollieuganei.com
Local Banner for the promotion of the territory

Ruins of the Olivetani Monastery on Mt. Venda

Ruins of the Olivetani Monastery
Ruins of the Olivetani Monastery

A will of 1197 refers to a donation to "those of Venda", thus recording the existence of a religious settlement by the top of the highest hill. The first monk to retire to this place was Adamo di Torreglia, who lived in a cave on the hilltop until 1160. In 1209 Stefano, former prior of St. Giustina, and friar Alberico built two small churches dedicated to St. Michael and to St. John the Baptist respectively, and in 1229 the small hermitage became a proper monastery under the rule of St. Benedict. Donations by the Maltraversi and Carraresi families made its importance increase, and a more imposing church dedicated to St. John the Baptist replaced the two former ones. In 1380 the monastery was entrusted to the Olivetani congregation, an aristocratic order skilled in wood painting and carving. 

Further information

Municipality: Vò (PD)  Region: Venetia


share-stampashare-mailQR Codeshare-facebookshare-deliciousshare-twitter
© 2019 - Ente Parco regionale dei Colli Euganei