The church, as the columns of its crypt suggest, is one of the most ancient rural churches in the diocese of Bologna. In the middle of the 12th century, after a first hermitage, the Canons Regular of St. Fridianus from Lucca started to rebuild the structure according to the current Romanesque style.
After a decline period Santa Maria became flourishing again in 1456 thanks to the Canons Regular of the Lateran, who carried out several restoration and expansion works.
In 1628 Pope Gregory XV conferred the title of "Abbey" on the community.
For many centuries both the rural church and the Canons represented the religious, administrative and economic reference point of the present park's territory, of which they owned the great part of the farmsteads that were split and sold during the Napoleonic era.
The church and the monastery were renovated between 1924 and 1934 by Giuseppe Rivani from Bologna, further works were carried out recently.
Giuseppe Dossetti, who had withdrawn from political life, established in the isolation of Monteveglio his own community in 1961, but its final headquarters were established in Monte Sole, so that the monks went back to the abbey for the first time after the late 16th century.
The rural center of San Teodoro, situated at the foot of Monteveglio's hill, is one of the park's most ancient places. The name of the saint, who was an Asian legionary martyred in the time of Diocletian, reminds of the time when the Byzantines defended these lands from the Lombards' assaults, and a church with this dedication appears in the submission act of the people of Monteveglio to Bologna in 1157.
In the late 15th century the center passed to the Canons, and it became the center of the Possessione San Teodoro, while the church went through a fast decline. Since then it became a simple farm, until it was turned into the Park's headquarters. Its didactic laboratory is the heart of an environmental education activity that has been involving the schools of Monteveglio and of the near municipalities for over 20 years, and that takes place along the itineraries of the protected area and in other places of the Samoggia Valley, availing itself of a rich cartographic and historical documentation and of innovative contents and methodologies, as some publications show.
The Rio Ramato small valley is among the areas of greatest natural value in the Park due to the presence of rare species such as the snowdrop. The name "rio" (meaning river) comes from the presence of a ferruginous spring flowing from the rocks, the water is called "copper water" due to the color deriving from the presence of iron oxide and iron oxide-hydroxide.
The itinerary No. 3 "Rio Ramato" climbs down through the forest in the cool and damp valley bottom.